Main search form
From the dictionary's main page you can run a configurable search using the following fields:
- Coptic word - enter Coptic text in utf-8 characters. You can also use regular expression wildcards:
- Dialect - select one of the dialect sigla or use any for any dialect
- Scriptorium Tag - part of speech tag to limit the search by, based on the inventory described here
- Search in definitions - you can search within definitions in either English, French or German, or in any language. Searches can be restricted to exact sequences of words within definitions, or else to definitions containing all of the entered words in any order.
Quick search bar
You can quickly search for words without returning to the main search page by using the quick search bar at the top. You can enter:
- A Coptic word or regular expression - this will search for your word in any dialect (for regular expression search see above)
- English/French/German words - this will search for definitions containing all of these words in some language
- A combination of Coptic and definition words - searches for entries matching both, in any dialect and definition language
Frequencies and collocations
The Coptic Dictionary Online is linked to Coptic Scriptorium corpora. Users can search for attestations of words, get frequencies and rank information or browse collocations of words using the following icons on each entry's page:
- - click on this icon next to a word form to search for it in Coptic Scriptorium corpora (you will be taken to ANNIS, the project's search interface)
- - pass over this icon to show frequencies and ranks for each word. For example, you can compare which is more frequent and how much: ⲉ or ⲛ?
- - if available, this icon shows collocations, words that cooccur with this word form much more often than expected by chance
Note: frequencies in the dictionary are cached and updated periodically. Numbers in ANNIS searches may differ slightly in some cases due to updates and/or slight differences in handling duplicate texts.
Import of data into spreadsheet
You can import lemma entry data into a Google spreadsheet by copying formulas like the ones below into a cell of an empty spreadsheet.
|=IMPORTHTML("http://www.coptic-dictionary.org/entry.cgi?tla=C195"; "table"; 1)||table of forms (table 1)|
|=IMPORTHTML("http://www.coptic-dictionary.org/entry.cgi?tla=C3093"; "table"; 3)||table of senses (table 3)|
|=IMPORTHTML("http://www.coptic-dictionary.org/entry.cgi?tla=C3093"; "table"; 4)||table of related entries (table 4)|
|=IMPORTHTML("http://www.coptic-dictionary.org/results.cgi?coptic=ⲣⲱⲙⲉ&dialect=any&pos=any&definition=&def_search_type=exact+sequence&lang=any"; "table"; 1)||search reply|
|=IMPORTHTML("http://www.coptic-dictionary.org/results.cgi?coptic=ⲣⲱⲙⲉ"; "table"; 1)||search reply, simple|